Thursday, December 02, 2004

I am utterly disgusted

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, 11 states had ballot measures to amend their constitutions to ban gay marriage in the 2004 election. And, in all 11, the ballot measures passed.

I followed campaigns for some of the states. Over and over the pro-amendment people insisted that their only motive was to "protect marriage." One of the pro-amendment brochures even stated that the proposal is "only about marriage....this is not about rights or benefits or how people choose to live their life."

Well, they lied. In Michigan, barely a month since the election, they are stripping domestic partner benefits from state worker contracts.

(links from Marriage Equality: State by State and Ex-Gay Watch)

Now, I posted about DP benefits a few days ago. I don't live in Michigan and certainly don't work for the state, but I can easily imagine what it would be like to suddenly lose health coverage for your family. Yes, those of us in gay relationships have families...even if the government doesn't want to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment